Friday, March 2, 2012

HOW MUCH YOU BENCH?

How much ya bench? It is probably one of the most common questions asked in any weight room among guys.  It is like a staple of one's manly hood. Although it is one exercise, it is treated like it sums up a guy completely on how strong of an individual he is.  The impression it makes upon having a big bench weight is what spurred on the events that took place. 

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to hit the gym with a friend of mine.  Working out was a fairly new experience for him but he displayed a lot of heart as we grinded out the reps.  After about halfway through our intense workout I asked him to do something I knew he was incapable of doing.  I asked him to put 315 pounds on the bench and to press it! I knew (as well as he did) that 315 pounds was way more than his 150 pound frame could handle.  He had no shot at lifting that much weight by himself, but I thought it would be clutch to get it on vid knowing that I could spot him picking up the slack.  As he got under the bar, camera rolling, he almost decided to cop out because of fear that I wouldn't be able to lift the weight and he would be trapped under the iron.  I assured him I was there and encouraged him to trust me.  Despite his fear, he laid down under the bar, lifted it, lowered it to his chest, and pushed with everything he had in him.  It wasn't easy but I was there to carry any load that he couldn't press on his own.  Needless to say, we got a sweet vid of this skinny kid pushing some mad weight! 

I have come to a place in my life where I am that skinny kid in the weight room.  I have never planted or pastored a church, but yet my heart is burning with this desire to fulfill what God wants for my life.  So, I get to the gym and God says I want you to plant a church I want you to do something that is bigger than you, something that you know you can't do on your own.  At first there is that great excitement and pumped feeling...and then a little fear starts to kick in.  But, Christ has always been there assuring me the whole time, encouraging me to step out in faith and to trust Him knowing in myself it is way to much weight for me to handle.  The funny thing is, that is the beauty of this whole experience.  I know that the success of Vertical Church will be through nothing I have or could do on my own, but only through Christ and to him be all the Glory. 

God doesn't expect us to be the strongest, most qualified, and talented to use us.  He just wants us to get under the bar and trust Him when He calls.  It won't always be easy and at times it will be a struggle, but we can rest assure that if we keep our eyes focused vertical on Jesus He will never fail us. 

How much ya bench?  I think that is the wrong question. The real question should be: Who is your spotter?

1 Corinthians 1:26-31


No comments:

Post a Comment